Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 23-26 - November 17-20, 2010

DAY 26
Got the antibiotic (Mupirocin) ointment filled today and after dabbing some more "goo" off my face, applied the Mupirocin (left the steroid at home today) and hours later, it is STILL burning!  I am NOT ready to let go of the steroid and she wants me off of it in 3 days.....idaknow about that.   I think most of the top layer of skin has all pretty much gone and the most recent spots are definitely more painful.  I think that's a good sign....means the other spots are maybe a little farther along to being healed! 

Not going to ride tomorrow (which I was hoping to a few days ago).  One, I have zero interest in the pain of wind & weather and Two, my skin is raw and sure don't want to risk infection!!!  Even "I" can pass up a bicycle day when it's called for :)

So, this is my best smile so far and it's definitely creepy!  Still, it's the best I can do and it's a definite improvement :)



Day25
Saw the Dr today and asked about something I'd read about mixing the steroid ointment w/antibiotic.  Gave me a prescription for Mupirocin and said I could start mixing them in a couple days but also cautioned.... I do need to get off the steroid ointment and she's hoping for next Tuesday, which will be 1 week after I started it.  Must admit, with the pain right now, Tuesday sounded like a long way away until I realized this is already my 4th day on the steroid and the pain is still really rough without the steroid on my face.  Sure hoping for lots of good growth on my skin in the next 3 days!!  Been drinking a spinach smoothie each morning with added goodies and this morning I added a powder called "Perfect Food."  Want to give my body every piece of ammunition it can use to fight this and heal quickly.

Got asked today about scarring and it coincidentally was at the same time that a patch of "gooey" came off my face leaving the raw skin behind, so I actually called the Dr to ask.  Was reassured that "no" scarring was not something they were worried about, just healing me as quickly and pain-free as we could.  Back to that whole "severe reaction" mess.

Day24
Ug.  The yellow goo keeps forming, but when it comes off, it's just raw raw raw.  I keep everything moist with either the steroid ointment or Aquaphor, but it sure stings.



Day23
One full day without the Efudex!  Got a little cocky yesterday because the steroid ointment took so much of the pain away that I guess my pea-brain decided it was also speeding the healing (one reason I don't like taking pain medicine for injuries...they make you feel better than you really are and then I can get stupid).  The steroid made the crusty area prett gooey, but what they were were scabs over a wound, so when I cleansed my face and a bunch of that came off sooooo effortlessly, it left raw skin there.  oops.  Plus, within a couple of minutes, my face was screaming and I couldn't get that steroid ointment back on my face fast enough!  Luv me the steroids :)

Called Dr. again the next day to make sure using the steroid ointment 2x/day would be OK, even though she had verbally said 1x.  They REALLY are concerned with using it 2x/day, but said OK if that was working best for pain management.  I made my own compromise tonight.  I've been cleansing my face, but chose not to tonight, leave the existing steroid on and just supplement with Aquaphor.  Maybe just cleanse/rinse each morning is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment